Local developer Vintage Partners was chosen to lead the adaptive reuse renovation of Uptown Plaza, the landmark 1950s era shopping center in central Phoenix. When it opened in 1955, it was the first “suburban” retail shopping center outside of downtown Phoenix. Suburban no more, today it sits squarely in the Central corridor–one of the hippest, fastest growing urban neighborhoods in the Valley–and right near a Phoenix Metro Light Rail stop.
The construction team is proceeding cautiously to ensure as many of the original elements are preserved. Years of stucco “improvements” obliterated much of the center’s original charm. The team is working together to determine how much of the original red brick facade and which interior walls can be preserved. As the stucco layers are peeled off, we are finding that much of the underlying brick (“baked brick”) is still viable.
The final result will maintain the center’s original silhouette complemented by elegant, new landscaping and modern amenities today’s city dwellers expect.
- 127,715 SF
- Removal of layers of stuccos
- Preservation of original elements including much of the brick facade
- Rebuilding original 15-foot shade overhangs with cantilevers
- Expanding common area with a big lawn abutting outdoor dining patios